Monday, May 21, 2007

Using 'Light Reflecting' Paint




The How to Paint Abstracts for Pleasure and Profit report discusses how to use water-based paints to make your own unique artwork. This free report is available using the link above to the free report on painting. In the report I talk about how to use the same paints (that were used for decorating the room) in the painting so that your final picture will be a perfect match.

I’ve found that mixing different types of water-based paint works well. I usually seal the final picture with a thin coat of matt acrylic varnish or acrylic medium. This will ensure that the artwork can be wiped with a damp cloth to remove any household dust.

A New Paint

I recently discovered a Dulux paint called Light & Space. They say it “reflects up to twice as much light around the room using our unique LumiTec (tm) technology. It’s an amazing effect …”

I wondered what effect it would have in a landscape painting. Could it make the light glow and add to the impression of the reflections on the water?

What I Did

I bought a tester pot in Pacific Breeze (tm) - they seem to have trade marked all the names! I painted this (quite roughly) in the centre section of a stretched canvas. Hoping to be amazed I let it dry and then took it indoors to see the effect. ;-)

To be honest it isn’t a huge effect but there is a little more light reflected in certain low light levels. I was hoping for more but decided to carry on with the painting in any case.

Limited Palette

I like limited palette painting - that means just using a few colours and adding white and black to get the range of tones.

In this case I wanted a subdued blue. I mixed some ultramarine blue with some black in a small container. This was my main colour and I only added white and black to the main colour for this painting.

Technique

With this technique it is best to mix up a good amount of the main colour so that you don’t run out and have to remix your main colour. Trying to match the original colour can be a real nuisance.

The Result

There is a difference in the water and the cloud areas where the original Light & Space paint is still visible. In low light levels it gives off a slight glow, and I think this is what keeps you looking at the painting. It is not an obvious effect but it is something that seems to catch your eye.

Why not invest in a tester pot and try it yourself? You could use it in an abstract painting too if you wanted.

No comments: